Under 14s Oranges

Manager: Robin Gofton


Under 14s Oranges


Latest team news

Sep 12, 2016

Oranges Edge Wolves in 6-Goal Thriller

WEFC Team (4-2-3-1):
GK: George Watkins
Defence: Harry Johnson, Charlie Williams, Oliver Vickers, Matt Gofton
Midfield: Joe Turner (capt), James Bridges;   Nathan Mulvaney, Kai Evans, Milo van Vliet
Attack: Matt Rogers
Subs: Luke Johnson, Josef Lamberton, James Starkey
Goals:  Kai Evans (2), Matt Rogers, Nathan Mulvaney
Man-of-the-match Award: Nathan Mulvaney
Oranges Edge Wolves in 6-Goal Thriller
Two goals in the final five minutes saw Wokingham & Emmbrook FC “Oranges”, sponsored by Wokingham Decorating Services, edge past Wargrave Wolves in a thrilling and hard-fought East Berkshire Football Alliance U14s Division 6 match on Saturday.
Wargrave took an early lead through a counter attack, their striker calmly rounding George Watkins in the Wokingham goal to slot home. Oranges responded well, and enjoyed a good deal of first half possession, creating plenty of chances, with Nathan Mulvaney and Matt Rogers combining well in the attacking third. But it wasn’t until the 24th minute that they were rewarded for their efforts, when Oliver Vickers’ inch perfect through-ball found Kai Evans who finished confidently to leave the scores even at half time.
Fifteen minutes into the second half, which was an end-to-end affair with chances for both sides, Wargrave restored their lead, but Wokingham equalised straight from the restart - the ball was played forward to James Starkey on the left wing, whose first time cross was met in the box by Matt Rogers, who hit it first time into the corner of the net. Wargrave battled to again restore their lead, and on balance had the better of much of the second period, seeing a long-range effort hit the cross bar, and a clever chip go inches over. But with three minutes remaining Evans fired in one of his trademark corners, which Mulvaney headed into the roof of the net to put the Sumas ahead for the first time in the match. Two minutes later, with Wargrave pushing for an equaliser, Luke Johnson won the ball back in midfield, passing to Evans, whose long range effort caught everyone – spectators and Wargrave’s ‘keeper – by surprise, to put the result beyond doubt.
Evans had an exceptional game, with two goals and an assist, but the man of the match award went to Nathan Mulvaney (pic), who was a constant threat with his movement and strength on the ball, his clever passing and a great headed goal.

Oct 03, 2016

Oranges get another Win!

WEFC Team (4-2-3-1):
GK: George Watkins
Defence: Harry Johnson, Stan Hamblin, Charlie Williams, Luke Johnson
Midfield: Oliver Vickers (capt), James Bridges; Nathan Mulvaney, Josef Lamberton, Christian Mohr
Attack: Matt Rogers
Subs: Matt Gofton, Kai Evans, Milo van Vliet, James Starkey
Goals:  Own Goal, Milo van Vliet, Nathan Mulvaney, Matt Rogers
Man-of-the-match Award: Kai Evans
Oranges Come Form Behind (Again!) To Sustain 100% Run
Another comeback saw Wokingham & Emmbrook FC “Oranges”, sponsored by Wokingham Decorating Services, beat table-topping Burghfield CSA Royals 4-2 in their East Berkshire Football Alliance U14s Division 6 match on Saturday.
Oranges played in their white away kits and were a little slow to get into the game, but woke up after Burghfield pinched an early goal.  Following a couple of substitutions WEFC made a series of attacks and deservedly scored in the 23rd minute, when a dangerous cross from Kai Evans was turned into his own net by a Royals defender.  The Sumas second goal followed two minutes later, when Nathan Mulvaney chased a long ball from the centre and was rewarded with an opportunist goal, after the keeper fumbled the ball under pressure.  WEFC protected their lead until half time, with a number of key defensive clearances from Matt Gofton, Stan Hamblin, Charlie Williams and Harry Johnson, some physical midfield play from Ollie Vickers and James 'Pitbull' Bridges, and a couple of important  saves from Christian Mohr.
George Watkins replaced Mohr in goal for the second half and was tested a couple of times in the first few minutes, as Burghfield came out looking for an equaliser.  The Sumas re-took control of the game in the 42nd minute, when Milo van Vliet ran onto a long clearance from Stan Hamblin and calmly lobbed the Burghfield keeper.  The Sumas had to work hard to defend their lead, with a number of important tackles from Matt Gofton.  Matt Rogers was in the thick of the action at the other end though, first hitting the cross-bar, then minutes later controlling a through ball from Evans and putting it away with confidence.  James Starkey came close to extending the Suams’ lead when he had a good shot palmed onto the post by the Burghfield keeper.  In the last few minutes of the game Luke Johnson cleared a Burghfield cross with a decisive header and Stan Hamblin had to clear the ball from the Sumas’ goal line, to ensure all three points came back to Wokingham, who now sit joint top of the Division 6 table. 
This was another great team effort and a well-deserved result, seeing the boys continue on their 100% run this season. Kai Evans (pic) was awarded man of the match for a great attacking performance, including three assists.

Sep 18, 2016

U14s Oranges Stun Bracknell With Amazing Comeback

WEFC Team (4-2-3-1):
GK: George Watkins
Defence: Harry Johnson, Stan Hamblin, Oliver Vickers (capt), Luke Johnson
Midfield: Joe Turner, James Bridges;   Nathan Mulvaney, Josef Lamberton, Christian Mohr
Attack: Matt Rogers
Subs: James Starkey
Goals:  Matt Rogers (2), Nathan Mulvaney (2), Josef Lamberton
Man-of-the-match Award: Josef Lamberton
Oranges Stun Bracknell With Amazing Comeback
An amazing comeback saw Wokingham & Emmbrook FC “Oranges”, sponsored by Wokingham Decorating Services, beat FC Bracknell 5-3 in their East Berkshire Football Alliance U14s Division 6 match on Saturday.
Oranges started slowly, and for the second week in a row were a goal down inside five minutes, when full-back Harry Johnson accidentally turned a cross into his own net. Three minutes later the Sumas found themselves 2-0 down, and had it not been for ‘keeper George Watkins making a string of impressive saves – including a penalty - the Oranges could have fallen even further behind in the first twenty minutes; as it was, Bracknell scored their third midway through the first half, and the score remained 0-3 until half time.
With Watkins off the pitch for the second half (due to an injury) and Christian Mohr taking his place between the sticks, Oranges faced an uphill struggle – three goals behind and no subs available.  But through sheer effort and teamwork they somehow managed to turn the game around.
The comeback started almost immediately after the restart, with the Wokingham boys creating chances and playing much more of the game in the Bracknell half. Eight minutes into the second half Nathan Mulvaney fired in a great cross to Matty Rogers, who tapped the ball home from short range. Three minutes later Stan Hamblin’s long clearance was latched onto by Rogers, who raced through to reduce the deficit further. Oranges continued to create chances, but it seemed as though luck was not going to be on their side, until Josef Lamberton collected Harry Johnson’s throw-in, dribbled into the box and, with a great piece of skill, created just enough space to squeeze his shot past the ‘keeper to equalise. The scores remained level until the final five minutes when Nathan Mulvaney’s hard work in midfield paid off, as he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the Bracknell box and cheekily lobbed the ‘keeper to put his team ahead.  Bracknell almost equalised a minute later when Oliver Vickers cleared off the line.  But Mulvaney got his second in the final minute, rounding the ‘keeper to score from a very tight angle.  So Wokingham came from behind, scoring two late goals for the second week in a row to take all three points.
The second half was a great display of hard graft and teamwork, typified by Mulvaney and Lamberton (pic); the latter picked up the man-of-the-match award for a skilful and determined performance on the right side of midfield, scoring his first goal for the team since signing in the summer.